Benztropine in Pregnancy and Breastfeeding

Risk Factor: C
Class: Autonomics / Parasympatholytics (anticholinergics)

Contents of this page:
Fetal Risk Summary
Breast Feeding Summary
References
Questions and Answers

Fetal Risk Summary

Benztropine is an anticholinergic agent structurally related to atropine (see also Atropine). It also has antihistaminic activity. In a large prospective study, 2,323 patients were exposed to this class of drugs during the 1st trimester, 4 of whom took benztropine (1). A possible association was found in the total group between benztropine and minor malformations.

In a surveillance study of Michigan Medicaid recipients involving 229,101 completed pregnancies conducted between 1985 and 1992, 84 newborns had been exposed to benztropine during the 1st trimester (F. Rosa, personal communication, FDA, 1993). Four (4.8%) major birth defects were observed (three expected), three of which were cardiovascular defects (one expected). No anomalies were observed in five other categories of defects (oral clefts, spina bifida, polydactyly, limb reduction defects, and hypospadias) for which specific data were available. Based on a small number of exposures, a possible association is suggested with cardiovascular defects.

Paralytic ileus has been observed in two newborns exposed to chlorpromazine and benztropine at term (2). In one of these infants, other anticholinergic drugs may have contributed to the effect (see Doxepin). The small left colon syndrome was characterized by decreased intestinal motility, abdominal distention, vomiting, and failure to pass meconium. The condition cleared rapidly in both infants after a Gastrografin enema.

Breast Feeding Summary

No data are available (see Atropine).

References

  1. Heinonen OP, Slone D, Shapiro S. Birth Defects and Drugs in Pregnancy. Littleton, MA:Publishing Sciences Group, 1977:34653.
  2. Falterman CG, Richardson CJ. Small left colon syndrome associated with maternal ingestion of psychotropic drugs. J Pediatr 1980;97:30810.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Questions and Answers

Is anyone on Benztropine 2mg for tremors?I want to get off of it causes blurred vision.?, trermors caused by seroquel or lexapro. I do not know which one.

my partner has been on a medicine roller coaster because of this same thing. her pdoc put her on clorazil because she gets all of the tremors,stiff jaw. cant be still, etc even at low doses of several psycotrophic drugs. so far it is ok, but the bad side of clorizil is weekly blood tests. it can fool wth your white blood count and if it starts to fall, you have to stop it. she has been on benztrphine and it blurs her vision, but stops the other stuff. her pdoc doesn't want to give her another med long term just to counter act another one when the clorizil should work as long as bloodwork stays ok its the seroquel that is causing your tremors by the way-she has tried that one too!

Why is Benztropine taken at night?, How can it help if taken at night?

The drug builds up in your body so the effects of it are always there. It is taken at night because some of the side effects last several hours and are not pleasant. It is better for those side effects to take place while you are asleep.

Benztropine mesylate? What Does it Do?, i know what it is, does it do anything for people that do not have the disorders? if it does, what dose it do exacily?

duh, google it n find out!

My doctor has prescribed me benztropine. What is it for?,

Obviously you complained about experiencing a problem and your doctor has prescribed it for you. He / she should have explained what it is for and possible negative side effects before prescribing it.

Benztropine is an anticholinergic drug used for the treatment of drug-induced parkinsonism, akathisia and acute dystonia; Parkinson disease; and Idiopathic or secondary dystonia.

In laymens terms, it means you may have experienced stiffness, tremours hyper salavation while being on anti-psychotic medication.

Can taking medicine for manic depression prevent me from conceiving?, I have been onseveral different medications for twelve years and I have never conceived: I am presently taking Haloperidol 5mg once a day and Cogentin (Benztropine) 2mg once a day. I would really like some straight answers. I have asked my psychiatrist but he was not straight with me about Lithium and I later found out that it is harmful to the fetus if you get pregnant,so I demanded that he take me off of it. Please help, I really want a child and I am 33 years old and I am getting older!

hi there, my sister who is 23 is on medication for the same thing, she told me that there would be a 75% chance of her never concieving a baby, because of the medication shes been on, this was told to her from her Doctor, so shes devestated but still holding to the 25% chance that she can, she's also disappionted that things werent expalained clear to her before doctors had put her on different kinds of medication, which is really sad, i hope things turn out for you!!!good luck

Why are medications for Parkinson's disease sometimes given to psychiatric patients?, What are the psychiatric uses of Amantadine, Benztropine, and Trihexyphenidyl?

Tardive dyskinesia caused by long term use of anti-psychotics

Benztropine,seroquel, ranatidine,lamictal?, Hi, Here is my question - I am diagnosed Bi-polar. I have more dark period (not suicidal, just a slow burning anger. I seem hpersensitive to stimuli when I am in this state), on the flip side I have hypomania as well. Sometimes it is the good mood, get things done, be super social (but not out fo control, people just see it as being energetic and happy) BUT then there are days likke today where I feel like I am going a million miles an hour, I talk like an auctioneer so I KNOW I sound like something is wrong to others. I do not drive as I drive like mario andretti. I feel like I cannot take a deep breath and get enough air - Is the answer the benztropine? This is the latest we are triny in case of a reaction to the rnatadine BUT it does not help my feeling like I don't get enough air. None of the meds listed did. ANybody else have experience with this?

I have never heard of Ranitidine being used for bi-polar, I am on it for allergies and acid reflux, hmm, then again I am not a doctor. I have been on Lamictal for several months and it has helped me a lot, I don't go up and down 3-4 times a day like I used to.

My doctor put me on abilify , trileptal, And benztropine anyone else on any of this?, Im bipolar and have severe panic attack disorder. I was on 40 milligrams of prozac a day and 4 milligrams of Lerazopam a day. But it was not stabilizing me like i needed it to an i was stuck in a depression rut. Now they switched me to 5 milligrams of Abilify, .5 milligrams of benztropine, 20 milligrams of prozac, 900 milligrams of trileptal all for one day. Im suppose to ween myself off of lerazopam so they can put me on kolonopin. It just seems like alot. I know the benztropine is for the side effects of abilify. So i wont have the involuntary movements that are a common side effect of it. I dont like taking medication at all let alone this much. But i also want to be able to concentrate, sleep, stop the racing thoughts,not have the ups and downs and not have the panic attacks as often. I dont know what to do. I also have been trying to have a baby for 6 months now and i cant be on trileptal while pregnant. So do i become dependent on these medications and not have a baby or not take them and feel like crap all the time so i can become pregnant again. I know it is my decision but i need some sort of input. thanks

This is my viewpoint--take it for what it is, ultimately you will make the right decision, for you, for your situation =).

You have had quite the medication change from simply Prozac and Lorazepam--treating anxiety and depression...to Abilify, Benztropine, Prozac, and Trileptal. These medications have a lot more side effects and have the ability to have a profound change in your behavior--much more than the higher dose of Prozac and Lorazepam alone. Not being able to concentrate, sleep, stop racing thoughts and the "roller coaster" ride you describe...it sounds like things are difficult. It might be a better idea to try the medication to see how it works for you and your body---and become stabilized---before you try to get pregnant. Seeing how these work---your doctor could try tweaking them, possibly changing the Trileptal to another medication. Once stabilized on a medication regimen, planning for a child can happen in a much more positive way because you will have your life together. Pregnancy is such a major change to the body in itself. You need to do what's best for you--and working with your OB/GYN and psychiatrist can help you make these changes happen.

Has anyone taken the medication benztropine? have you or have you not vomited or felt nauseaus from it? Help!?,

If you are feeling nauseaus or vomiting from any medication, you need to stop taking it and call your Dr. to let them know. That is an adverse reaction to a medication.